Do you love working on behalf of children, fostering their growth and development? Do you want a job that is challenging, gratifying, and allows you the opportunity to impact tens of thousands of youth each year? Focusing on our three Pillars of Student Success: Entrepreneurship, Work Readiness and Financial Literacy, JA staff enjoy a culture of mutual respect and co-worker camaraderie.
Junior Achievement of Central Maryland is part of the world’s largest organization dedicated to inspiring and preparing young people to succeed in a global economy. Through a dedicated volunteer network, JACMD provides hands-on programs that show more than 30,000 K-12 students each year the realities of how careers, money and business ownership work. JA experiences are proven to give students the edge in college completion, work and career readiness, earning potential, and business start-up.
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
Leads Junior Achievement of Central Maryland as chief executive officer within policies established by the local Board of Directors. Responsible for establishing the strategy, promoting the mission and the brand, people leadership, culture building, operational excellence, financial performance and governance.
• Assures that Junior Achievement operates in compliance with all requirements of the Junior Achievement Operating Agreement and additional requirements established by the Board of Directors.
• Assures the financial stability of the Junior Achievement operation to support strategic and operational plans for the organization including the development and implementation of effective fund raising campaigns and other innovative approaches to raising funds, accurate and timely financial reporting, analysis of financial information; development of a budget and management of financial resources to meet all organizational objectives.
• Develops and implements strategic plans that assure the stability and growth of JA in the Area within the context of the internal and external market forces and regulations.
• Works with the Board of Directors to develop policy and assure proper governance of the organization.
• Works with the Chairman of the Board of Directors to recruit, orient, and encourage engagement of Board members; manage effective regular meetings with the Board including the development of the agenda and any reports and materials.
• Accurately projects staffing requirements; recruits, hires and trains associates; manages staff performance to assure achievement of all goals and objectives.
• Manages implementation of all programs and ensures programs are executed within acceptable standards to assure growth in student impact.
• Acts as a representative with governmental, political, community, civic and industry groups.
• Other duties as requested by the Board of Directors.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent business experience
• 7+ years experience in related field with successful track record
• Excellent management, communication, organization and interpersonal skills
• Demonstrated experience in business development, fund raising and people development
• Management experience in education or nonprofit organization
• Demonstrated expertise in sales/marketing or fund raising
• Experience working with a Board of Directors
• CFRE certification
Junior Achievement of Central Maryland (JA) inspires and prepares more than 47,000 K-12 youth each year to succeed in a global economy. Junior Achievement’s signature capstone program - JA BizTown - provides a signature, hands-on opportunity for 4th-6th graders to experience the world of work. Students take on careers and civic responsibilities during their ‘first day on the job’ in a fully interactive, 10,000 sq. ft. town.
The Program Manager is responsible for the overall coordination and effectiveness of JA BizTown for school systems, teachers, students, volunteers, and funders. This is an outstanding opportunity for a dedicated and organized individual to demonstrate such skills as problem-solving, decision-making, troubleshooting, and communication. The position also recruits schools for participation, fosters strong educator and school system relationships, creates the annual program calendar, and increases public awareness for JA BizTown.
•Responsible for the day-to-day oversight of JA BizTown which includes managing school visit dates through regular communication with schools, educators, and transportation coordinator.
•Assists P/T staff team to ensure effective visits/simulation experience.
•Oversees annual scheduling and program agreement implementation with schools, and
ensures educators are notified and prepared with curriculum and resources prior to JA BizTown visit dates.
•Implements educator trainings virtually and/or in-person during designated district professional development dates and hosts webinars.
•Works with Education team to recruit, secure, and schedule new and returning schools to participate in JA BizTown. Supports the coordination of curriculum delivery in designated counties.
•Ensures completion of necessary educator, student, and volunteer program surveys
•Coordinates and implements curriculum, simulation, and sponsorship changes as needed in JA BizTown and monitors program supplies and inventory.
•Provides customer service and support to all stakeholders that contributes to renewing commitments from existing schools, volunteers, and funders. Ensures completion of requirements for funder stewardship plans.
•Coordinates and manages JA BizTown summer camp program, including participant registration, content development, and recruitment of counselors and volunteers.
•Assists JA team with other programs and events, as needed.
•Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
•Two or more years program management, non-profit, or administrative experience
•Strong oral and written communication skills, including public speaking and training skills
•Strong interpersonal, organization, planning and problem-solving skills
•Computer literacy in Microsoft Office suite of programs
•Detail-oriented with ability to perform multiple tasks in a fast-paced, changing environment
•Ability to be patient, professional, and communicative with stakeholders from diverse backgrounds
Physical Requirements: The physical demands described below are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to be on feet for long periods of time and frequently required to sit and walk; occasionally required to reach with hands and arms; continually required to talk or hear; and occasionally required to bend, lift, or climb, frequently required to lift and carry light weights (25-50 pounds). Specific vision abilities include: close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust or focus.
Experience working with school districts. Experience with CRM platforms and data entry/tracking. Proven management and leadership qualities.
Junior Achievement of Central Maryland provides impactful, interactive experiences for more than 47,000 K-12 youth each year to help them understand how careers, money and business ownership work. JA’s Capstone programming, JA BizTown and JA Finance Park, are key to that mission—offering inclusive, scalable opportunities for elementary and middle school students to experience real-world scenarios and decision-making in a simulated economy.
The Capstone Director oversees and facilitates the implementation of facility, hybrid, and classroom-based Capstone programming in the 12 school systems served by Junior Achievement of Central Maryland. This position is primarily responsible for leading the programmatic operations of JA BizTown and JA Finance Park for students, teachers, volunteers, and partners. The Capstone Director is charged with supervision and management of associated staff, attainment of program outreach goals, and implementation oversight to ensure quality educational experiences.
This position requires a professional who can work across dynamic, high-achieving teams; coordinate internal and external program initiatives; support and develop field personnel; and act as an external representative for the JA organization.
Junior Achievement associates are known for their passion for the JA mission, which brings together business and education partners to work toward student success. Members of the JA team interact with community leaders who support JA with their time, treasure, and talent. Junior Achievement of Central Maryland offers a collaborative, inclusive work environment and a meaningful opportunity to impact the lives of young people in our community.
1. Collaborate with Chief Academic Officer to develop annual strategy and operating plans related to the Capstone programs that support overall JA area business objectives.
2. Responsible for establishing and maintaining successful school system relationships to maximize program impact and ensure that program targets are reached.
3. Manage Capstone staff to assure effective program operation, including recruiting, hiring, training and performance management to assure retention of quality talent.
4. Assist Capstone Mangers with development of annual calendar for program implementation, including timetables, procedures, and responsibilities to be accomplished.
5. Oversee training and curriculum implementation for participating schools and systems.
6. Supervise program quality and adherence to local program models and Junior Achievement implementation standards.
7. Oversee distribution of resources across geographic territory and programmatic initiatives.
8. Coordinate with Development team to provide support to Capstone shop sponsors, strengthen partnerships, and fulfill recognition opportunities.
9. Oversee administration of pre- and post- testing to assess effectiveness of programs for funders, schools, school districts, etc.
10. Support volunteer team in registration and preparation for individual, community, and corporate volunteers to reach annual volunteer outreach goals.
11. Collaborate with Chief Academic Officer to develop and implement outreach plan for new school partners.
12. Oversee grant-driven program deliverables and coordinate relevant reporting process.
13. Oversee annual budget development for Capstone program implementation.
14. Ensure team’s timely and accurate data entry for reporting to partners and JA USA.
15. Support Chief Academic Officer on implementation of departmental initiatives as they support the organization’s long-term strategic growth plan.
16. Participate in key community and fundraising events.
17. Assist program department and JA organization in other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
• A minimum of four years of Junior Achievement or related youth education experience.
• Strong relationship-building and interpersonal skills.
• Established relationships with area schools and businesses.
• Familiarity with budgeting.
• Demonstrated ability to work in a collaborative environment.
• Self-motivated with strong customer service skills.
• Strong problem-solving, presentation and public speaking skills.
• Ability to prioritize and perform multiple tasks in a fast-paced, changing environment.
• Organized and detail-oriented.
• Advanced computer skills.
• Experience supervising and supporting the professional development of a team.
• Previous work experience in program management.
• Current or previous membership in community and education organizations, committees or boards.
• Experience with a CRM database.
• Flexible schedule.
• Able to be on feet for long periods of time in Capstone facility.